Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bringing home the bacon

I did have time to scan the first few items from the ongoing Steam Hunt 6, and even record a few of my impressions.  Gifties examined thus far:-
  • 001 Hunt start location at Mieville - mini-hunt here for ten segments of 20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea.  It says something about my gift for obsessive completism that I religiously dug out all ten segments even though I have already transcribed this book onto notecard myself.
  • 002 ~Lantian~ "20k" necklace (small and large sizes, suitable for ladies and gents).  Tasteful little necklace with a bronze-y, globe-y pendant, quite restrained by the standards of Lantian necklaces!  The globe opens on touch to a blue glowy thing.  Pretty.
  • 003 Pop Tart & Urban Assault - big unisex stompy boots with a nautical motif.  Always room in my inventory for big stompy boots!  They will need a bit of adjusting for fit, but so many boots do.  (I'm not sure why.  A lot of them show bits of my calf sticking through the boot on the inside leg, and I don't have particularly big calves.  I do have long, slender legs, too long for the alpha layers supplied with the boots to cover everything.  Never rely just on alpha layers for fitting, that's what I say.)
  • 004 !! Never Ever ! - globe of the world.  Nice map; sculpty frame looks a little rough-hewn and chunky, but overall a good low-impact decorative item.
  • 005 Morigi Steam - Morigi Kraken touring submarine.  Seats nine and has decorative tentacles; straightforward in operation.  I have more than one of Miss Morigi's submarines in inventory already, and they do not disappoint.
  • 006 Dragons' Designs - two outfits, suitable for ladies and gents.  The ladies' outfit is a neat enough Victorian circus or burlesque thing; it's nicely enough done - I don't know when I will ever find the urge to wear it or an appropriate event to wear it at, but it's nice, and it's there if I need it.
  • 007 GUHL - photo lamp.  Not the first photo lamp I have found on hunts at GUHL.  It's, well, it's a photo lamp.  Neatly enough made... nothing particularly steampunk about it, to my possibly untutored eye.  Doesn't "steampunk" usually mean "we stuck a gratuitous brass cog on it somewhere"?  Anyway, GUHL didn't.  Never mind.
At this point, other duties claimed me, and I stopped opening boxes.  There may be future installments of this.  Consider yourselves warned.

2 comments:

  1. It's so nice of you to perform this public service, Miss Bulmer! I still have unopened boxes from the LAST Steam Hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : carefully drapes a cloth over piles of cogs and TRH gargoyles and even Silk Road pagodas, whistling innocently :

      Unopened boxes? Nothing to see here. Oh no.

      Delete