Sunday, April 1, 2012

Viewer wars, continued

The annoying habit of my viewer to reset my preferences has already been documented; after the landmarks business, though, the viewer lay doggo for a while, lulling me into a false sense of security, before striking again....

... this time, emptying my block list while I wasn't looking.

This is annoying, for two reasons.  Firstly, although my list needs a regular purging, most entries on it having already gone to wherever it is griefers go when their accounts are deleted, there are, still, a number of spamming gits I don't particularly wish to hear from, and adding them back in is always such a tiresome process.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, there is one of those obscure and annoying bugs which afflicts SL, and which is perhaps the most arcane one I've yet come across; the one where, if you have ever had entries on your block list, but it's currently empty, you don't receive offline messages and inventory items sent to you.

In this instance, having noted a suspicious absence of things I'd normally have seen, I checked my block list, noted the appalling absence of everything, and promptly decided a nearby wall had mortally offended me and I wasn't speaking to it any more.  Having given this object the Cut Direct, I was immediately rewarded with a notecard about webspelunker Ghostraven's latest interview, plus the fruits of yesterday's MM board slapping.  (Midnight Mania boards are one of the important reasons I have such a bloated inventory, these days.)

So... a sneaky low blow from the viewer, there, but I have hopes that I will bounce back.  Re-entering the spammers on the block list is going to be annoying, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment