Saturday, April 21, 2012

Mesh news, and I am baffled by LL...

News here from Nalates about the state of the mesh deformer project, including some little wrinkles which are, at the very least, intriguing.  (Rigged clothes can respond to avatar facial expressions?  Intriguing.  Not that I make much use of those, myself, as they have a terrible tendency to make me look like Princess Anne, but still....)

One thing that baffles me, though, is the comment that the explosion in mesh clothing caught LL somewhat by surprise....  I mean, honestly, why?  The idea of rigging mesh on the avatar was part of the mesh project pretty much from the get-go; one of the earliest demos I saw was a rigged avatar.  And, using mesh objects to reduce Land Impact takes time and effort and a bit of Knowing What You Are About, so it's beyond either the skill or the patience of a fair number of creators... but, worn attachments don't have LI to be considered, so naturally a lot of people are going to gravitate towards that.  So, if you know you are making stuff for avis to wear, and you know that things can be rigged on the avatar... making clothing with mesh is a completely obvious step; a no-brainer, almost.

So why should this take LL by surprise?  Honestly, now.  For someone who lists "Bashing LL" as an interest on her profile, I actually spend a surprising amount of time bending over backwards to give them the benefit of the doubt.... but things like this make me wonder, seriously, how in tune with SL the Lab actually is.  Wonder, and worry.  Perhaps I'm reading too much into this one comment.  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment